May 25, 2012 (FALMOUTH) The Archdiocese of Boston has placed a priest who was conducting limited ministry duties in Falmouth on leave following an allegation of sexual abuse of a child. A statement from the Archdiocese says the claims against Reverend Joseph Byrne happened in the early 1970’s. They were just recently reported. Byrne last had a full-time church assignment in 2002 and was most recently ministering at St. Patrick’s Church in Falmouth. The Archdiocese has notified law enforcement and is also conducting its own investigation. Cardinal Sean O’Malley says they remain committed to ensuring the safety of young people in their parishes. In 2005 -- Byrne pleaded no contest to charges of stealing 135-thousand dollars from his Waltham parish. He was placed on five years probation at the time. Byrne had been accused of using the parish money to pay for personal expenses associated with his East Falmouth home.